Book Talk: Cinder

18:00

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Fairy Tale
Pages: 400
Source: Purchased
Purchase from: Book Depository / Wordery

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She' a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her sisters illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the centre of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.




"Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time."

I ADORED this book. A futuristic retelling of the popular Cinderella tale this book is a firm favourite of mine. Meyer creates a world both futuristic and relatable that you can easily immerse yourself in and imagine. Creating a societal divide in the creation of Cyborgs was brilliant. Throughout history humans have created strife with those considered "other" and by creating that same divide here Meyer makes this tale utterly believable. You can see a world that's improved technologically speaking but still has it's grime. It's bias. It's issues.

"Do your kind even know what love is? Can you feel anything at all, or is it just ... programmed?"

Though I'm not usually one for love stories, this isn't a traditional sort of love story. It's slow burning with so many ups and downs with no assurances on a happily ever after. The characters of this world are diverse and multifaceted. Fabulous in a series spanning many books. To have a diverse range of men and women as well as creating real feelings of friendship and love between them is without a doubt the mark of a good writer. These aren't quick fit relationships that leave you pondering how they like each other. These are people who feel REAL. There is a character anyone can relate to. Loveable rogue? Anxious but brilliant? You will find someone you connect to no matter who you are. Personally my favourite character is Iko. A robot. Don't judge me till you've read it darn you! 

"Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating!"

There's a stream of sarcastic wit throughout, especially from Kai, that had me giggling (ok occasionally snorting) constantly. I am a BIG fan of books that make me laugh. A book should make you want to sob, to laugh, to worry and to cheer. This is the type of book that has you rooting for the underdog and hopeful for the future. The scope of the world is fairly large but focused perfectly on our main characters. You hear hints of the rest of the world, and inklings of the scenes to come, but not in a way that overshadows where you are currently. It's just SO well done.

"Let me just go dig out my special Lunar detector, and I'll get right on that"

Ending in a cliffhanger, it doesn't feel wrong. You want to read the next chapter in the series when this one ends. I immediately ordered and devoured the rest of the series after reading this one! I could not wait. I am a fan of fairy tale retellings, which makes me somewhat biased, but this is one of the best retellings I have ever seen. My favourite book in the series is actually the next one, which I will be reviewing shortly!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments